When I have been hearing a lot about Ruby and thinking to give it a try, I searched for a beginners tutorial over Internet. I found a lot. But luckily, I started with the easiest and solid one. It successfully drive me through an exciting way of learning ruby and lift me from installing to a functional "online cookbook" application. The best part of this tutorial was, it teach everything really "step by step" and you have to turn back to a previous step for never. 2 parts of this great tutorial is here –
part-1 : Rolling with Ruby on Rails
part-2 : Rolling with Ruby on Rails, Part 2
Ok. It’s confirming your successful starting. For the next step, I am listing here some essentials of learning Ruby on Rails.
- http://tryruby.hobix.com/ : This is an interactive interface for learning Ruby. They said,"Got 15 minutes? Give Ruby a shot right now!".
- What is ruby on Rails – This is another tutorial from http://www.onlamp.com/ describing amazing features of Ruby on Rails.
- Four Days on Rails (PDF) : This PDF goes through building a "To-Do List" Application. The steps of building a ruby applications are explained here excellently.
- http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails : Ruby on Rails Wiki : The community-driven Rails documentation! A place where you will get everything about Ruby on Rails.
- http://api.rubyonrails.com/ : The details documentation of Rails API.
- http://rubyforge.org/ and http://raa.ruby-lang.org/index.html: These are the world’s richest collection of open source ruby project.
- Seeing is believing : Screencasts of Ruby on Rails application. Makes a programmer interested on Ruby on Rails in just 01 minute.
- Ajax on Rails : This is the 3rd part of the introducing tutorial. A must read to work with Ajax in Rails framework.